Sunday, November 1, 2015

My Dad

Bobby Ray Shaw is not my birth Dad but he is my true earthly father. He was born in 1933 and grew up in the eastern part of Tennessee. He passed away in 1994 at the young age of 61. I miss him a lot, he was a quite man and while we did not talk all that much when I was growing up my love for him has grown over the years.

Dad was a veteran and served in the Korean War. He was wounded in that war when he was shot in the shoulder. He never talked about it with me but Mom has told me the story. He was part of a tank crew and they had stopped to have a smoke and were ambushed by a sniper. His injury was pretty bad and left him with a badly damaged left arm and hand. He spent two weeks aboard a ship on his return trip from Korea and was sea sick the entire time. I talked him into going on a deep sea fishing trip one time and he got sea sick on that trip.  My guess is he never got over the experience as that was the last time we fished on the ocean but he was willing to try one more time for me.

He loved my children and was always so good to them. He was always so kind and loving to my Mom. He set a wonderful example to me and my brother on how to treat the women in your life. He would buy my mom clothes to include some very nice dresses.

My Dad loved to go camping and fishing and taught me how to fish at an early age. I loved to get away on our camping and fishing trips. He would also take my brother and I to sporting events. I must say that his love of professional and college sports did not take with me. I still am glad we had the opportunity to be together during these times.

My teenage years were hard on my Dad as I was very rebellious and gave both him and Mom much trouble. I regret having been this way with all my heart but feel like things got so much better between us once I grew up and started acting like a man. Once I left home for the Air Force and got married to Teri things really got so much better. Talking with each other became so much easier and I felt a great bond between us.

I have so  much more I want to say about my Dad and this post will grow with time. I have some great pictures to post here of him and will do so in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment